Choosing a tree is a lot like choosing a spouse. Your tree choice can often outlive you so make sure you take the time with your selection to suit your specific needs.
First ask yourself the question “What do I want from a tree?”
- Are you looking for a fruit tree?
- A tree with spring or autumn color?
- A tree to add privacy or serve as a noise barrier?
- A fast growing, shade tree?
- An ornamental that will add interest to your front yard?
Colorful Trees In Spring
- Crabapple trees come in lots of sizes and shapes. The flower, the fruit, and the leaf color will add interest to your landscape. They don’t have to be messy trees. Some produce very little or no fruit. Persistent fruit stays on the tree until it dries and are not messy.
- Chanticleer Pear trees have nice spring and fall colors and, depending on the variety you choose, can make great shade trees.
Colorful Trees In Fall
- Raywood Ash, Autumn Purple Ash, Chinese Pistache, Shumard Oak besides have great reddish fall coloring, make great shade trees.
- Chanticleer Pear trees have nice spring and fall colors.
- Washington Hawthorn and Crabapple trees have great year round interest.
Fast Growing Shade Trees
- The newer Elm trees are nice. Most do not drop seeds like the big Elms of the North Valley but carry all the benefits like drought tolerance, big, and fast growing. Lacebark Elm trees have a unique bark making them of interest all year. Frontier Elm and Emerald Sunshine Elm trees have a striking fall color.
- Raywood Ash, Autumn Purple Ash, Urbanite Ash, and Chinese Pistache all grow fairly quickly and can be nice shade trees.
- Imperial Honeylocust and Shademaster Honeylocust trees are both seedless varieties and can produce nice shade. The Sunburst Honeylocust is a nice seedless variety with lime colored leaves in summer.
True Desert Trees
Noise or privacy barriers
Photinia and Silverberry can make nice trees if properly pruned. Wichita Blue Juniper, Skyrocket Juniper, and Spartan Juniper are nice Juniper varieties. If you are looking for full sized trees, Austrian Pine, or Arizona Cypress are all good picks.
Tree-bates are available from ABCWUA for many popular selections.